Do You Need a College Degree to Become a Real Estate Agent in Pennsylvania?

Learn about the educational requirements for becoming a real estate agent in Pennsylvania. Find out what courses you need to take and how to apply for your license.

Do You Need a College Degree to Become a Real Estate Agent in Pennsylvania?

In Pennsylvania, you don't need a college degree to become a real estate agent, but you do need to fulfill certain educational requirements. The Pennsylvania Real Estate Commission (PREC) requires aspiring agents to complete 75 hours of approved pre-licensing courses. This includes a 30-hour course on the fundamentals of real estate licensing and a 45-hour practical course on real estate licensing. You can take these courses in a classroom or online, and after completing all course materials, you must pass the final exam with a score of 75% or higher.

The Pearson VUE administers the Pennsylvania real estate seller's license exam. This 120-question exam consists of two parts and covers state and national requirements. Once you pass the exam, you're just one step away from becoming a licensed real estate agent. If you want to become a broker in Pennsylvania, you'll need 240 hours of professional real estate education.

If you have questions, schedule a consultation with BHHS Fox & Roach to learn more about a career in real estate. If you are a licensed attorney, have obtained a degree from a university with a specialty in real estate, or have a current license in another jurisdiction and want to obtain a license in Pennsylvania, visit the Pennsylvania Real Estate Commission website for detailed information on education and examination requirements for your specific situation. Log in to the Pennsylvania Licensing System (PALS) to create your profile, upload your documentation, and submit your real estate license application. So, while you don't need a college degree or prior education in real estate to become an agent in Pennsylvania, you will need to complete the necessary pre-licensing courses and pass the state exam.

We recommend that you contact the Pennsylvania Real Estate Commission for more detailed information or to make changes.